Saturday, June 26, 2010

Happy Father's Day

I know I’m almost a week late on this post but I wanted to share pictures I took on Wednesday night. To say that I’m proud of my father would be an understatement. I think for so long I have taken for granted all the skills and knowledge that he has passed onto to me not realizing that not everyone has been this lucky. On Wednesday night my family and I watched my Dad receive an award for an invention that he created for a woman with cerebral palsy.  She only has use of one side of her body and cannot feel her left arm and the device my father created helps her to clamp a stem so she can strip leaves and cut stems while using her right hand.

My father belongs to an association of retired engineers called The Tetra Society, which was founded by the former mayor of Vancouver Sam Sullivan back 1987. The Tetra Society recruits technically skilled volunteers who have made more than 5,000 custom made assistive devices for people with disabilities in locations through out North America. In his six years with Tetra has created over 30 devices or “gizmo’s”, the name given to them by the society.


If would like more information about the The Tetra Society go to www.tetrasociety.org

Below are a few snapshots from the awards night.
Happy Father’s Day Dad.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    Came by here by way of CollageCollage. Your shots of the birthday parties (and all the others) are amazing ... we might have to book one there just for the photos!!!

    Anyway, I have a friend, Tracy Rempel, who used to coordinate some of the designs -- an OT who was the go-between for the people who needed stuff and the engineers. She LOVED working with those guys so much.

    Just thought I'd say.

    Again, I love your photos. (And I too love Mt Pleasant ...)

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen. Thanks for taking the time to leave such lovely comments. I hope to shoot you and/or your family one day.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that your comments will not be posted if you include a link or website. It will be considered spam and deleted.